Saturday, August 7, 2010

Wish list: Handlebar Parts

This won't be too exciting a post, but BitMonkey is on the lookout for parts for me and needed some reference pics.

This is the kind of top clamp I am looking for:

It needs to be for an "inline" springer, which means all three holes will be centered on the line.

These are the kind of handlebars I am looking for. These aren't too wide at the bottom.



The spirals & grips are the earlier 1940's style. Later ones would show only a thin chrome ring and then the entire grip would turn. These bars are currently on eBay, and I WAS watching them, but just today they went up to $361.00, with 4 days 20 hours left to bid. Ouch...

Final selling price on these handlebars... $1535.00. Wow!



These are '54 - '59 panhead repops available commercially. You can see two differences, when compared to the ones above. First, the pan bars are reinforced in the center where the cables come out. Secondly, thse are the later grips & spirals I was describing above:



Finally, here are the 4" Flanders style risers I like:


They are available as repops from a variety of sources. I think they are around $140.00. These are lower priority because I already have some plain 4" dog bone risers that Captain Sam loaned me, and they wouldn't be hard to change later...

Update - since I'm kind of a loser and tend to obsess over stuff like this I took a pic of Knucklehead Steve's bars this morning. 4" Flanders risers, offset top clamp and Faber Cycles "Flanders" bars.

6 comments:

  1. Am I correct in assuming the fork tube holes and steering tube hole are inline rather than whatever the three holes running perpendicular are for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. On an inline clamp, the three holes are all cut in half with a single line. On the offset springer, the steering tube hole is offset to the rear enough that the line between the two fork holes just barely catches the front of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been doing a bit more research. The handlebars in the eBay post are period modified. The 36-48 spirals start out same as my 45", but are shortened, and later grips are cut down to fit what remains on the end. I still think they look the coolest.

    I also have to keep track of "push" vs. "pull". on the early bikes (like mine) the cables actually push the throttle to open it, and likewise push the timer to retard. At some point in the fifties I think, HD changed, and went to the "pull" throttle most bikes today have... If the spirals aren't right, the grips would turn the wrong way. I have to look. Jeff must have flopped the arm on the Linkert carb to make it work with a pull-type cable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See above, I took a pic of Steve's bars this morning. Are his the wider based bars? He has the same style grip setup as above.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two days left. The eBay bars are up to $615.00...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I called Faber Cycles today. and learned a bit more about bars. The ones on eBay are original early Flanders bars. That's why they are so valuable. All the Flanders bars use the cut-down Harley spirals, like in these pictures. The bars from Faber are already chromed, but pretty spendy. For an extra $100, he can also supply the early style spirals that go with the bars. Might have to save my money and splurge.

    ReplyDelete