Thursday, March 11, 2010

38U Ride Report

Finally got notification of insurance coverage for "Hollister" today, so I celebrated by taking him to the gas station for his first fill-up. My initial impressions are (in no particular order): I'm getting used to the magneto, and starting to learn more about what it wants to start. The clutch is still dragging, but not so bad I can't ride it a bit. It is geared really high. this is not bad, because it still feels plenty powerful, but THIRD gear on the 38U feels like it's geared higher than top (3rd) gear on my 45". It isn't really possible to shift into 4th on a residential road with a speed limit of 40 mph, because you end up lugging the motor. I think I might consider shifting into 4th at about 50 mph. I figured Jeff was exaggerating about cruising at 70 mph. Now I'm wondering if that might be right. It shifts smoother than the 45" at speed. Rides and handles very well, much different feel than the 45, very solid. Rain cut the ride short (rain seems to figure prominently in my history with this bike so far...). I really think I am going to grow to like this machine... Sorry, no pix to accompany this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment